If you’re planning a trip to Germany, don’t miss out on Hanover. This vibrant city in Lower Saxony is full of history, culture, and exciting things to do. In this guide, we’ll show you how to make the most of your three days in Hanover, with recommendations for sightseeing, food and drink, accommodation, and free tours.
What to See and Do in Hanover
When it comes to sightseeing in Hanover, there are plenty of options. Here are some of the most important places to visit:
- The Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen: These baroque gardens are a must-see for any visitor to Hanover. Explore the different sections of the garden, including the maze, the grotto, and the fountains.
- The New Town Hall: This stunning building is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Hanover. Take a guided tour to learn more about its history and architecture, and enjoy panoramic views of the city from the top.
- The Marktkirche: This beautiful church dates back to the 14th century and is a great example of North German brick Gothic architecture. Inside, you’ll find impressive stained glass windows and an ornate altar.
- The Sprengel Museum: This modern art museum is home to an impressive collection of 20th-century art, including works by Picasso, Klee, and Kandinsky.
- The Maschsee: This large lake in the heart of the city is a popular spot for jogging, cycling, and picnicking. You can also rent a boat or take a guided tour.
Don’t forget to take a stroll through the charming streets of the Old Town, where you’ll find half-timbered houses, cozy cafes, and small boutiques.
If you’re short on time, here’s a recommended route for a day of sightseeing in Hanover:
- Start your day at the Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen, and spend a few hours exploring the different sections of the garden.
- Next, head to the New Town Hall and take a guided tour of the building. Don’t forget to take in the panoramic views of the city from the top.
- For lunch, head to the Old Town and try some traditional German cuisine at one of the local restaurants.
- In the afternoon, visit the Marktkirche and admire the impressive stained glass windows and altar.
- Finish your day at the Sprengel Museum, where you can enjoy a diverse collection of modern art.
Where to Eat and Drink in Hanover
Hanover has a wide range of restaurants, cafes, and bars to choose from. Here are some recommendations:
- Brauhaus Ernst August: This traditional brewery and restaurant serves up hearty German dishes and a variety of beers.
- Cafe Konrad: Located in the Old Town, this cozy cafe serves up delicious coffee and homemade cakes.
- Tandure: This Turkish restaurant is a local favorite, with a menu that includes traditional dishes like kebabs and baklava.
- Leibniz Lounge: This trendy cocktail bar is the perfect spot for a nightcap, with a wide range of cocktails and a chic, modern atmosphere.
Don’t forget to try some local specialties, like currywurst (a sausage with curry sauce) and hannoversche schnitte (a type of cake).
Where to Stay in Hanover
Hanover has a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels to luxury hotels. Here are some recommendations:
- Jugendherberge Hannover: This hostel is located in a historic building in the city center and offers affordable dormitory-style rooms.
- Grand Hotel Mussmann: This elegant hotel is located in a restored 19th-century building and features spacious rooms and a restaurant serving regional cuisine.
- IntercityHotel Hannover: This modern hotel is located near the main train station and offers comfortable rooms and a fitness center.
- Novotel Hannover: This family-friendly hotel is located near the zoo and offers spacious rooms and a pool.
Be sure to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak tourist season.
Free Tours in Hanover
If you’re on a budget or just looking for a unique way to see the city, there are several free tours available in Hanover. Here are some options:
- Free Walking Tour Hanover: This 2.5-hour tour takes you through the Old Town and covers the city’s history, culture, and architecture.
- Herrenhausen Gardens: The Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen offer free guided tours several times a day.
- Hanover City Library: The city’s main library offers free guided tours of its impressive architecture and design.
Be sure to check the schedules and book in advance, as these tours can fill up quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time to visit Hanover?
The best time to visit Hanover is during the spring or fall, when the weather is mild and the city is less crowded. However, if you’re interested in attending one of the city’s many festivals or events, such as the Hanover Schützenfest or the Christmas Market, plan to visit during the corresponding season.
Do I need to speak German to visit Hanover?
While it’s always helpful to know some basic German phrases, English is widely spoken in Hanover, especially in the city center and tourist areas. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting around or communicating with locals.
Is Hanover a safe city?
Overall, Hanover is a safe city for tourists. However, as with any destination, it’s important to take basic safety precautions, such as keeping an eye on your belongings in crowded areas and avoiding walking alone at night.
What is the best way to get around Hanover?
Hanover has a well-developed public transportation system, including buses and trains. You can purchase tickets at vending machines or at the station, and there are several options available, including single tickets, day passes, and group tickets. You can also rent bikes or use ride-sharing services like Uber.