If you’re planning a trip to France, Montpellier should be on your list of must-visit destinations. This beautiful city in the south of France is filled with history, culture, and delicious food. In this guide, we’ll give you travel tips, show you what to see, provide some recommended routes, suggest places to stay and eat, and even tell you about free tours you can take. Let’s get started!
What to See in Montpellier
Montpellier is a city full of surprises. Here are some of the places you should definitely add to your itinerary:
- Place de la Comédie: This is the heart of Montpellier, a beautiful square surrounded by elegant buildings and home to the Opera Comédie.
- Montpellier Cathedral: Also known as Saint Peter’s Cathedral, this stunning Gothic church is a must-see.
- Le Corum: This modern cultural center is an impressive piece of architecture.
- Promenade du Peyrou: Take a leisurely stroll through this beautiful park and enjoy the views of the city.
- Porte du Peyrou: This triumphal arch is an iconic landmark of Montpellier.
- Château de Flaugergues: This beautiful 17th-century castle is located just outside the city center and is definitely worth a visit.
Routes in Montpellier
Montpellier is a very walkable city and the best way to explore it is on foot. Here are some suggested routes:
- Old Town Route: Start at Place de la Comédie and wander through the narrow streets of the old town, taking in the beautiful architecture along the way. Don’t miss the Porte du Peyrou and the Montpellier Cathedral.
- Green Route: Follow the Promenade du Peyrou to the Jardin des Plantes, a beautiful botanical garden. From there, head to the Château de Flaugergues.
- Modern Route: Start at Le Corum and explore the modern architecture of Montpellier, including the Antigone district.
Dónde Dormir y Comer en Montpellier
Montpellier has a wide variety of accommodations and restaurants to suit all budgets and tastes. Here are some recommendations:
- Hôtel Oceania Le Métropole: This beautiful hotel is located in the heart of Montpellier and offers luxurious accommodations.
- Hôtel du Palais: This elegant hotel is located in a historic building and offers a unique and charming stay.
- La Villa Nova: This boutique hotel is located in a quiet residential area just a short walk from the city center.
- L’Entrecôte: This popular restaurant is known for its steak frites and lively atmosphere.
- Le Petit Jardin: This charming restaurant offers Mediterranean-inspired cuisine in a beautiful garden setting.
- La Diligence: This cozy bistro serves traditional French cuisine with a modern twist.
Free Tours in Montpellier
If you’re on a budget, there are plenty of free tours you can take in Montpellier. Here are a few options:
- Montpellier Free Walking Tour: This two-hour walking tour takes you through the historic center of Montpellier and covers all the main sights.
- Montpellier Graffiti Tour: This two-hour walking tour takes you to some of the city’s most impressive street art.
- Montpellier Food Tour: This two-hour walking tour takes you to some of Montpellier’s best food spots, with plenty of tastings along the way.
Consejos de Viaje en Montpellier
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your trip to Montpellier:
- Bring comfortable shoes: Montpellier is a very walkable city, so be sure to bring comfortable shoes for all the exploring you’ll be doing.
- Visit in the off-season: Montpellier can get quite crowded in the summer, so consider visiting in the spring or fall for a quieter experience.
- Try the local specialties: Montpellier is known for its delicious food, so be sure to try some of the local specialties like tielle (a savory pastry filled with squid) and pélardon (a type of goat cheese).
- Take advantage of public transportation: Montpellier has a great tram system that makes it easy to get around the city.
Here are a few common questions travelers have about visiting Montpellier:
- Is Montpellier safe? Yes, Montpellier is a very safe city for travelers. Just be sure to take the usual precautions like keeping an eye on your belongings in crowded areas.
- What’s the best way to get around Montpellier? The best way to get around Montpellier is on foot or by tram.
- What’s the weather like in Montpellier? Montpellier has a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and hot summers. The best time to visit is in the spring or fall when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are smaller.
- What language is spoken in Montpellier? The official language of Montpellier is French, but many people also speak English.
- What currency is used in Montpellier? The currency used in Montpellier is the Euro.
Montpellier is a beautiful city with so much to offer travelers. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or food, there’s something for everyone here. With this guide, you should have all the information you need to plan an unforgettable trip to Montpellier. Bon voyage!
For more information, visit the official tourism website of Montpellier, France.